Re: [RML] Sexing desert gobies

Andrew.Boyd at dfat.gov.au
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 10:20:30 +1000

My 2 cents worth: I think that the subdominant males suppress colour,
giving every appearance of being male, rather than changing sex.

To test this, I would set up several groups of DGs, of at least 5 fish,
removing the dominant males from each group as they appear. Eventually you
will either end up with all females, or a lot of pairs
:)

I am not sure of the size of the sample groups needed to validate this,
but a large enough sample should give those interested some idea. And
anything to do with the keeping of large numbers of Desert Gobies (AKA The
Fish They Breed In Heaven) can't be too bad. :)

Regards, Andrew Boyd