RE: Re: [RML] Philypnodon

Harro Hieronimus (Harro.Hieronimus at t-online.de)
Wed, 1 Oct 97 13:37 +0100

>> Philypnodon is a genus of gudgeon (ELEOTRIDIDAE).
>>

>Peter U. wrote:

>Just for the hell of it I figure I should mention that there is still a
>little debate going over how to spell the family name. Some claim
>Eleotridae is correct, some argue for Eleotrididae. Eschmeyer (California
>Academy of Science--he has lists of all the described genera of fish and
>is working on a full valid species list too! It's all on the web) seems
>to be going for the former and he usually has this stuff nailed down
>pretty good. And some people think our arguments on this list are
>trivial......

Maurice Kottelat has applied to the International Comitee for Zoological
Nomenclature some years ago to have this question cleared for Cobitidae
or Cobitididae. The members of the ICZN ruled that it has to be Cobitididae.
Thus it also should be Eleotrididae and similar for all genera ending with
..is.

Harro