Re: Measurement units mg/l and ppm

Andrew Boyd (andrew at pcug.org.au)
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:38:06 +1100

At 02:34 PM 10/28/96 +-1100, Marque wrote:

>Something that I cant get out of my mind was a talk by Richard Carlson
>at the conference, where he referred to the units of ppm and mg/l being
>approximately the same.

Heya Marque! My personal opinion is that you'll quickly go insane trying to
make sense of every single word that Richard Carson said. I have every
respect for him, he's a leader in the field of aquaculture in Australia, a
generally knowledgeable guy, a and good supporter of ANGFA, but I have to
say that I can't agree with everything he says either.

He looks at the whole business from a "battery hen" perspective, that is, he
wants to produce edible fish protein in the most efficient way possible.
This is good from an aquacultural perspective, and he is perfectly right
that we have to do something about producing more fish now that the ocean
stocks are becoming non-viable.

I suppose it's a philosophical argument from my POV - I like plants, and
don't have to try to cram fish nose-to-tail into tanks, therefore I don't
freak out if I have a higher CO2 level or a lower than optimum stocking
ratio in my tanks at home.

In his optimum fish-growing system there is no room for shellgrit - this was
something to do with raised CO2 levels from memory: I use it. I inject CO2
as well, to help my plants out a bit....

He showed slides of large plain indoor tanks with fish packed like sardines:
I'm a bit of a sook I must admit but these made my flesh crawl... I like to
kid myself that my fish enjoy some quality of life (until I kill them! ;) ).
I know that they are not terribly bright but they must get a bit bored!

But I still enjoy listening to Richard's presentations - this was the third
time I've seen basically the same talk, but with updates throughout to allow
for improved technology and advances that his company has made. I think that
we are lucky to have him as a consistent speaker at our Conventions.

Regards, Andrew Boyd

<>< <>< : http://www.pcug.org.au/~andrew