RE: Re: Genetic diversity

Andrew Boyd (andrew at pcug.org.au)
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 23:58:39 +1000

At 05:38 PM 10/8/96 -0700, Peter Unmack wrote:
(snip)
>Define "best quality stock". I think for the average aquarist the best
>way to maintain good stocks (if I am presuming you mean wild type) is to
>just choose the best parents.

As long as the average aquarist has the wild type in mind when choosing his
best parents... otherwise we'll end up with "colour improved" strains.

I think we went through this during the "Albino Rainbowfish" thread a while
back - the net result was a bit hard to pin down. I seem to remember we all
resolved to breed our own fish and not rely on the commercial trade, and
destroy all albinos/hybrids without releasing them to other aquarists. These
are important considerations for species maintenance... My memory does play
tricks, though, I may well be wrong!

Regards, Andrew

<>< <>< : http://www.pcug.org.au/~andrew
<>< : ><> Rainbowfish Mailing List: http://www.pcug.org.au/~andrew/rml.htm