RE: Desert Goby and other matters

peter.unmack at ASU.Edu
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 21:01:29 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Alan Salmon wrote:

> Just a thought, but shouldn't your signature say something like:
>
> DESERT FISHES/EUROPEAN CARP RULE: to boldly thrive where no other fish
> would want to be! :-) :-) >

There ain't many places where desert goby occur where carp could also
occur. IMO certain desert fish and coastal salt marsh fish have the
broadest environmental tolerances of any fish species freshwater or
salt. Winston Ponder at the Australian Museum works on hydrobiid snails
that also occur in the desert springs. He modified my punch line one
time by saying, Hydrobiid snails: to boldly thrive where desert fish cannot!

Hooroo

Peter J Unmack peter.unmack at asu.edu
PO Box 1454
Tempe AZ 85280-1454, USA
DESERT FISHES RULE: To boldly thrive where no other fish can make it!

Check out the Australian desert fishes pages at
http://www.utexas.edu/depts/tnhc/.www/fish/dfc/
just click on the Australian portion of the map