Frozen Flake (was RE: Enriched Brine Shrimp nauplii)

GWLANG at ccmail.monsanto.com
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 10:39:58 -0600

---------------------------- Forwarded with Changes ---------------------------
From: rainbowfish-owner at pcug.org.au at INTERNET
Date: 11/4/96 6:53AM
To: GARY W LANGE at MONSL701
*To: X:C=US/ A=MCI/ P=MONSANTO/ DD.RFC-822=rainbowfish at pcug.org.au at MONCCMAU
Subject: Frozen Flake (was RE: Enriched Brine Shrimp nauplii)
I'm curious, not that I doubt your word, Julie, but do many other people do
this?

When it was available I used to buy Aquarian carnivore in the 7 pound buckets.
I found it to be a much better fish food than Wardley's or the Tetra "potato
flakes". I now use the Aquarian food for saltwater fish as it appears to have a
higher meat content. Unfortunately the price for the 5 pound bucket has gone up
again. My fish like it better and it was the only flake food my cat would go
after :-) The "new" flake foods with the vitamen C locked in still go bad over
time. If you buy things in bulk the best way to preserve this is by putting it
in smaller containers, sealing it tightly and freezing it. It also pays to buy
your fish food from someone that has a good turnover of their food. I would
avoid a small mom & pop pet store that had a box sitting for a year or more etc.

On the conversations regarding APR - I have found that <sometimes> those little
hobbyists containers (2-3 oz, ` a small teacup full) don't always smell like APR
should smell. Fresh, useable APR has a slight "eggy" smell. If you leave a
container in your fishroom, or just out of the freezer for a long period of time
it will lose this smell. It really doesn't seem to work very well then. There
are several people that swear that they can't get the stuff to work and I think
it because they use either stuff they have allowed to go bad or they bought one
of the smaller jars that have already gone bad. I think I would stick with the
large, brine shimp like sealed cans and then subdivide it, seal it tightly and
freeze it.

Gary Lange
RSG