Re: [RML] Coliseum Creek Rainbow

Peter Unmack (peter.lists at)
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 08:33:48 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, conwayl72 wrote:

> Does anyone know what a 'Coliseum Creek' Rainbow is? A local variety
> of M.duboulayi or fluviatilis? I have been trying to find more
> information since seeing them at a local fish shop on the weekend.
> Beautiful little fish, with silver/white tips on the fins....

It is a duboulayi based on all the genetic work we've done. Fish from the
northern couple of drainages (Baffle Ck, Kolan R) are pretty odd looking
relative to more southerly duboulayi. Was expecting them to show more
hybrid influence, but other that one M. splendida haplotype out of ~100
fish, they were all duboulayi (although we still have to run allozymes on
more of these samples which may be more informative). The fish from
Mullett Ck are a hybrid mix with splendida. Be interesting to see what
they look like grown up. Mullett Creek is a little drainage inbetween
Kolan and Baffle.

Cheers
Peter Unmack