Re: [RML] TB

Sat, 31 May 1997 07:49:13 +1000

I hope someone has replied to Craig's note about TB and eggs. Although TB
can be transferred via eggs it is not the only way, also the eggs are not
necessarily infected. The most common way is for the sub-clinically
infected fish ( i.e. carrier of inactive or perhaps active but not bearing
any external signs) to be stressed by unfavourable conditions, especially
overcrowding and thus reduce its immunological competence allowing the TB
to become active and eventually obvious. Whether the original source of the
TB was via egg or other tankmate will vary from fish to fish.

Bruce Hansen