Re: [RML] Fluidized bed vs. Wet/dry

Craig Bingman (cbingman at netcom.com)
Tue, 27 May 1997 23:45:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 27 May 1997, Roy Hunter wrote:

> Talk about getting out there!
>
> I think I will stick to the good old water change...
>
> less not be obsessed with filtration and line the pockets of the gizmo
> manufacturers. :-)

Actually, although Jaubert has a patent on the plenum system, I doubt
very seriously that any significant pocket lining has taken place.

For private individuals, there is no royalty due unless you start selling
them, in which case you aren't just joe i wanna keep fish.

One more comment regarding plena and other ways of denitrification:
denitrification isn't the only game in town. It is also necessary to get
rid of phosphate. Unfortunately, it has no significantly volatile
compounds of a reasonable oxidation state, so people running plena in
freshwater tanks might expect a little cyanobacterial problem.

Not exactly what I had in mind when I started my aquarium, so let me
again run my ad for PLANTS, they are very beautiful, and they make the
fish so very happy. I have never seen a rainbowfish that looked happy
outside a planted tank, so I wonder what you chaps are doing with no
plants in those tanks.

OK, guys, I have posted my notes, I have listened to the whinging.
Whinges went from here to there, whinges went to everywhere.

Now I very respectfully ask, nay, I entreat thee... where might I obtain
eggs of the very beautiful rainbowfish and their close allies from AU and
surrounding areas?

Secondly: is the ulcer disease of rainbowfish transmissable through eggs
alone?

Should be a significant question, should be some data out there to
support it, one way or the other. Some person who has only rainbowfish,
and only obtained through eggs either has the ulcer disease in their fish
or not. So, which way is it?

Craig