Re: [RML] Shelves

Mike Adams (mfadam1 at pop.uky.edu)
Mon, 19 May 1997 13:47:28 -0400 (EDT)

Rhonda,

I'd screw them together instead of nailing them, but that's just my
preference. We're building racks for our store right now and are using
notched 2x4's for vertical supports and 2x2's for the horizontal supports.
Notching is a pain in the ass but they look pretty good when they're done
and they're sturdy as hell.

Mike

At 09:04 AM 5/19/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening Everyone,
>
>I am to (hopefully) going to start building my new shelves in the fishroom
>tomorrow. I'm taping, plastering and painting the wall that will be behind
>them today.
>
>Anyway I was wondering if anyone has any tips for things that I absolutly
>should or should not do while I'm building these.
>
>My plan was to just use all 2x4's. Use them upright at intervals along the
>shelf (wide enough to slip a tank in) and at the ends. Just nail cross
>pieces for the three shelves and for support. I was going to nail one on
>each side of those in the middle to add the lengthwise pieces. Then nail
>them 3 or 4 wide to make the shelves.
>
>My reasoning was this was an extremely simple design, so hopefully I won't
>screw it up.<g> Also the 2x4's are cheap. And I can just screw the hooks
>into the shelves to hang the shop lights. Finally I figure at some future
>point I could add some plywood and moulding to the front to make it look
>more finished.
>
>Fortunatly the room was a shop before we bought the house and has lots of
>plugs at mid wall. So the electricity supply for the lights is good.
>
>Thanks for the any tips.
>
>Rhonda

Mike Adams, Jr.
Graduate Fellow