Rainbowfish Sports? was Albino rainbowfish

Cary Hostrawser (caryho at ix.netcom.com)
Fri, 31 May 1996 23:54:48 GMT

On Fri, 31 May 1996 07:12:20 -0700 (MST), peter.unmack at ASU.Edu wrote:

>So we should be willing to accept producing albino rainbows, but not
>accepting undertaking scientifically controlled crossing experiments?

I've got nothing against scientifically controlled crossing
experiments, as long as the result is destroyed and never let out to
the public.
I really don't like the idea of developing sports from rainbows.
Seem's like there are enough species that have been messed up with
selective breeding. If you really want to play with developing new
strains, there are plenty of species that have traditionally been bred
as artificial varieties. It would be better to stick to those. Imagine
a lionheaded Goyder River Tri or a fantail boesemani.

I'm wondering how others feel about this selectively breeding for
sports. I do know some rainbow sports are beginning to show up in the
fish trade.

Cary Hostrawser

()
/||\ Rainbowfish Study Group