Re: Ulcers

peter.unmack at ASU.Edu
Mon, 20 May 1996 22:21:36 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 20 May 1996, Bruce Hansen wrote:

>Of interest is the fact that Goyders
>are the only Trifasciata that I have found in hard alkaline water in
>their natural habitat.

How hard is hard and what minerals? Any idea what the water chem is in
Cape York streams in the wet season?

> It is likely that this "ulcer disease" is not TB. - but the lesson is
> still there.

How do we really know the ulcer in the wild and captivity are not TB. If
the one in the wild isn't TB then isn't it more likely that the one in
captivity is not TB since many of us bring in wild fish to our
fishrooms? In other words, isn't it more likely that we have introduced
these "wild" ulcers into our aquaria?

Everyone keeps talking about TB this and TB that, but how many folks have
had it professionally diagnosed? I want to hear from anyone who has and
I'll bet virtually no one on this list has. We could all just be wasting
our breath referring to literature on TB when it may not be TB. Do we
_really_ know it is TB????? Why do people feel so sure all these ulcers
are TB? I wanna hear the evidence.

Still a Sceptic

Peter Unmack