RE: [RML] Fish TB?

Julie Zeppieri (bowluvr at hotmail.com)
Thu, 05 May 2005 11:28:23 -0700

Hi Kevin,

Other than a recent velvet outbreak on some M. praecox, which was totally my
fault due to putting an infected fish in the tank unknowingly, I have not
had a sick rainbow in about 5 years or so. This includes some fish that I
have had during moves and other such large disturbances in our lives. It
also includes my 10 year old plus male M. boesemani and trios of 5 plus year
old plus Herbies and Coen-Tris.

The velvet was cleared up with no losses (and a lot of salt), and everyone
is again fine. :-)

Rainbows (and most fish) need stability in water quality and chemistry. They
are a bit more sensitive to poor conditions than many other common groups of
fish we keep in aquariums and are often first to succumb to disease when
they are unduly stressed by a bad/improper environment.

You may want to give details on the temps, water chemistry and maintenance
habits (% water changes and how often) of the rainbow species you are trying
to keep. Also which species. They don't all want them same things or thrive
in the same conditions. For chemisrty, please include alkalinity and nitrate
levels, as well as Ph, general hardness and the like.

Also, if you have been adding in new rainbows to this tank regularly, and
not first keeping these fish quarantined, then you are asking fro troubles
just like what you've explained. Stores are stressful places for fish, and
let's face it, many do not provide appropriate conditions for their fish.
Since rainbows are so suseptable to the effects of poor conditions, you
could be adding problems with each addition.

Kept properly, I have always found rainbows to be as durable as any fish out
there. The problem is many people do not keep them properly and this is
where things then go wrong. ;-)

Perhaps you could give us a few more details on this and we can get to the
reason for all the outbreaks and get it fixed? :-) FWIW, almost all
rainbows from shops have been exposed to TB. With good care they can live a
long life relatively syptom-free. It is when things are not so good that
problems arise.

Julie <'><