Re: [RML] Fw: Male or Female Kubutu Rainbowfishes (Melanotaenia lacustris)?

Julie Zeppieri (jazep at www.peter.unmack.net)
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 22:44:59 -0700 (MST)

Hiya Doc! :)

Since you've brought it up...

I haven't any experience w/ this phenomenon in M. lacustrus, but I have
observed both G. incisus females and G. ramuensis to do this. The G. ramu
females were also ones I had spawned, and as a matter of fact, I usually
only observed flashing behaviour in these females (both spp) while they
were responding favorably to male courtship and/or in the act of spawning
itself. I observed this on several occaisions/more than one individual in
both spp. As I have fry from the ramu females in question, I do not think
it is a matter of any hormone imbalance/sterility, but rather a normal
phenomenon. It is VERY subtle, thus hard to miss if you don't know to look
for it. :) I only saw it the first time by chance.

Julie <><