Re: [RML] Waterfall Creek Rainbow

Christopher Benes (beneschr at pilot.msu.edu)
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 03:37:28 -0500

At 10:18 PM 3/7/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Absolutely incorrect! We've talked about this before so let's not
>try to repeat ourselve too many times. 1) ANY Exquisitata are just
>in a handful of fish houses in the US. You don't find them at the ma
>& pa fish store here in the US However...
>
>Ekkwill has started releasing Melanotaenia pierucciae, photos can be
>found in Heiko's last (it's over ;-( ) issue of Aquageo - vol 13 and
>the scientific description in Vol 2(2) of Aqua which is sent out at
>the same time if you had a subscription. They came from "Werfyang
>Creek" which in typical Ekkwill fashion became digested into
>Waterfall Creek. M. pierucciae does look "somewhat" like a tri. I
>would say that the live specimen more resembles a goldei <g>. I
>haven't seen them really big though so I don't know if they get that
>real great broadness (from dorsal to anal) that you see with many
>varieties of tris.
>
>Gary Lange
>Rainbowfish Study Group of NA

Ahh, now it sounds like we're getting somewhere! Are those the only
pictures of these fish? I don't have access to those publications, does
anybody perhaps know if there are pictures on the net anywhere? Hey, if
Ekkwil sells these fish, somebody must've taken a picture of them, right?
However, the basic point is that if in fact these fish are these M.
pierucciae then they're real fish and worth having, right?

If you didn't see it, you missed it.

Chris Benes
beneschr at pilot.msu.edu
http://www.msu.edu/user/beneschr/