Re: [RML] Locally sold fish

Gary Lange (gwlange at stlnet.com)
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 19:57:47 -0600

A few years back, I guess 5-6 now, Heiko sold that M.s. australis to
EkkWill along with other various fish like the Blue Ramu " M.
affinnis from bluewater creek". Ekkwill has to have an easy name for
the hobbyist to digest so they called it "eight lined, red-tailed
rainbow". Even from the beginning it was a fairly heavy bodied fish
whereas the drysdales, at least the ones that had been shipped over
here were much slighter. It's a nice fish but it's not the best
looking australis that I've seen. It most certainly is not a
drysdale river australis. Actually the drysdales that I've
gotten look pretty but other pictures I've seen of other varieties
have looked better. Unfortunately all the eggs we have gotten over
the years have all been males, something like 20 in three different
shipments to 2 different hobbyists. Since we no longer get EkkWill
fish in the St. Louis area I haven't seen whether the "eight-lined,
red tails still retain
their same look or whether they've had other material added.
Certainly
not a must save as any genetic material (Melanotaenia, Chilatherina
and Gloss.) obtained from a petstore should "most often" be suspect.
At the same time there are hobbyists that have the real stuff and are
supplying that particular store. Items from Ekkwill can also be
contaminated but they in most instances have tried to keep them
clean. Regarding their stuff, the earlier you obtain it the more
likely it is to be uncrossed and of good lineage.

Gary Lange
Rainbowfish Study Group of North America

> From: Larry Stein <lstein at his.com>
> To: rainbowfish at pcug.org.au
> Subject: [RML] Locally sold fish
> Date: Wednesday, March 05, 1997 6:55 AM
>
> A local dealer here in Maryland is selling a Rainbow called
"Eight-line
> Redfin" Rainbow. Is this a hybrid? If not does it have a
scientific name?