Re: police? (was [RML] Removal from this f'in listserv ...)

Ian Fraser (ipgf at ozemail.com.au)
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 00:27:00 +1000

Bruce Hansen wrote:

> I'm with you Bjorn -
>
> I think our erstwhile listmember has been reaading too much into his
> inkblot tests :)
>
> Bruce Hansen
>
> ----------
> > From: Bjorn Straube <straube at digital.net>
> > To: rainbowfish at pcug.org.au
> > Subject: Re: police? (was [RML] Removal from this f'in listserv ...)
> > Date: Saturday, 21 June 1997 8:18
> > Is this for real? I've been following the internet for a few years with
> > one eye, but did not really get into it until this year. This is the
> > first time that I've ever heard of "going to the cops".

Just as a matter of interest on the police issue, it may seem strange
but there may be grounds for complaining to the police. It is an
offence in a number of states of Australia to 'stalk' another. Stalking
is defined pretty loosely, to mean any sort of unwanted contact which
makes the recepient feel concerned about their safety. For example, if
I continually ring someone or send mail, even after they have told me to
stop, that can constitute stalking if it leaves the person fearful or
apprehensive. I can't really see how the email, the internet etc can be
any different. Of course it probably wouldn't apply in cases like this
where the gentlemen is simply a member of a mailing list.

Just thought I would throw my 5 cents in (2 cent coins were withdrawn
from circulation a couple of years ago).

Ian