RE: Swan river tank (Perth WA)

Bruce Hansen (bhansen at oznet02.ozemail.com.au)
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 09:11:47 +-1000

From: cyrus roussilhes[SMTP:cyrus at ois.com.au]
Sent: Sunday, 9 June 1996 23:21
<< here's a list of the smallest most suitable fishes (for tanks) to
catch in the Swan estuarine:= according to "The Marine and Estuarine Fishes
of South-western Australia" 1983 False Tasmanian Blenny Parablennius sp,
Bridled Goby Amoya bifrenatus, Japanese Goby Tridentiger trigonocephalus,
Long-finned Goby Favonigobius lateralis.
Gobbleguts Apogon rueppellii >>

Cyrus has highlighted another extremely interesting aspect of this fascinating hobby of ours - the brackish water fishes that either occasionally , habitually or necessarily penetrate our freshwater streams. It doesn't matter where you live near the coast

of Australia ( and sometimes well inland) you will often catch fishes that are essentially marine species in with species that are considered to be purely FW. In the northern regions e.g. the Daly R., and those rivers that drain into the Gulf these can b

e found hundreds of kilometers upstream. These species can be large and even dangerous e.g. sharks, sawfish, stingrays.

In an effort to popularise an interest in these fishes, as well as provide useful information on their care we are including many of them in our ANGFA A-Z of Native Aquarium Fishes series. I would appreciate any information from any list member on this

group. If you email me separately rather than clog up the list - or post it if other members wish. I am after anything on them such as ----

Reference sources
Capture techniques
Habitat observations, localities, water parameters etc
Transport techniques
Care, community notes, behaviour, longevity etc etc
Breeding experiences
Colour variations and other observations on morphology etc

For example I consider the sheet we did on Bostricthys zonatus was a useful one and high-lighted a poorly known but widely distributed and extremely attractive and interesting aquarium subject. One of the benefitds of this kind of loose-leaf publication i

s the ability to review and update with more recent info and experiences as it becomes available. I will be happy to forward info on species to be included, bibliography, blank sheets etc. All contributions are acknowledged on the finished sheet.

<<One question I have for every one near coastal rivers. Has the Japanese
Goby reached your river? Throughout Australia this goby has "settled down"
in many ports.>>

I am not aware of being here in Brisbane but that may jhust be a matter of ignorance.

<< btw the Japanese Goby I think makes a
great "personality" pet.>>

I think all gobies (that I have seen so far) make good aquarium subjects. I guess Peter will have a few up his sleeve that aren't e.g. theBlind Mud Goby :-)

Bruce Hansen