Re: [RML] Breeding tanks

Wright Huntley (huntley1 at home.com)
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:09:58 -0700

"Taylor, Ralph" wrote:

> I have a trio of M. herbertaxelrodi (lovely fish) and they spawn all the
> time. I recently hatched over thirty fry and (as they have done for the
> previous 5 or 6 times before), they live about 5-6 days and then all die
> off. I am trying to start these little surface feeders by floating APR.
> They seem to be feeding. After three days I try BS but I don't think that
> they are eating it. Any help will be appreciated. I have successfully bred
> 7-8 species of Bows for years and never had this trouble before!

I have no experience with the species, but have a general rule about early,
massive baby deaths. It very often is "Velvet," which is invisible at the
lethal level on such small bodies. I do a necropsy with a good microscope
and almost always find evidence of dinoflagellates like oodimium. Treat the
parents' and their tank with "Velvet Guard" (Jungle) o/e.

Some species seem particularly vulnerable.

You didn't mention feeding Euglena sp. (aka "green water") to them. I have
troubles with survival of many extra-small fry if I fail to add some to the
baby water. E. George gave me a starter years ago that he said had been
passed around in the SF Bay Area for over 25 years. It must contain every
fish disease known to man by now, but it sure grows tiny babies (like Bettas
and Blue-Eyes) very well. :^)

Wright

--

It was all for naught. Taxation with representation sucks too! *** http://www.self-gov.org/index.html ***