RE: illegal fish importation

Barry Meiklejohn (fisher at ozemail.com.au)
Fri, 12 Jul 1996 15:51:27 +1000

All,

----------
From: Walter Ivantsoff[SMTP:wivantso at rna.bio.mq.edu.au]
Subject: RE: illegal fish importation

"The reason that quite a few member of the scientific commnunity
support and respect ANGFA is that it has been an organisation of integrity
and credibility, Adrian. I for one, have found that I could extend
my scientific endeavours by my association with ANGFA"

>From my experience the work that ANGFA has done (or some individuals within the organisation) would be to "boldly go where no one has been before" as it were and sample creeks, streams, habitats that scientists have either not been interested in, haven't
received a grant to survey, or just weren't interested in. A typical example is the recent ANGFA Qld survey of Ban Ban springs which was forwarded to Nature Search 2000 and DPI (and which didn't find any Neon Tetras, but lots of Gambusia). I know of s
tudents doing studies who have come to our members for fish and/or information and we have gone out of our way to assist. Even Walter admits to having "extended his scientific endeavours by his association with us".

"If we still have common objectives, like being custodians
of our native fauna, we need each other. If you just want to be "stamp
collectors" you will just become another hobby group with little or
no relevance to the understanding of our native fish. You will then
leave all the policy making to the scientific community without being
listened to."

This is an insulting statement made by someone that claims he has extended his own endeavours by our association. If we choose to be "another hobby group" then I see nothing wrong with this and to be derided by some scientist somewhere would appear to be
a case of "professional snobbishness". I think that they would still come running when they needed something.

I have just checked over the national constitution and the objectives of ANGFA as many and various as they are - and I can't see where ANGFA has any "common objective" as custodian of our native fauna. What lends Ivanstoff to think that he has sole right
s to formulate these types of policies for the government and the people of Australia.

ANGFA's constitution basically tasks us with the promotion of Australian & PNG freshwater fishes. It asks us to attempt to establish captive breeding programs and assist others to do the same, and to promote and foster an awareness of the environment and
the dangers facing our fishes. It is obvious to me that the constitution was written with eachamensis well in mind. For those that may not have seen the relevant text I have reproduced it below (all be it slightly abbreviated or I would have been typing
all night).

ANGFA CONSTITUTION
OBJECTIVES

- promote the exchange of information on all aspects of the care of freshwater fish of Australia and New Guinea
- hold meetings publish reports and undertake activities as may be desirable for the spreading of knowledge of aforesaid
- produce a quarterly journal
- produce a newsletter
- develop and encourage development of other material beneficial to education of aquarists and fish scientis
- cooperate with learned societies and organisations with like purpose
encourage aquarists, aquariums, zoos and other institutions to implement policies that serve to achieve the following
1 foster an interest in native fish (A & PNG)
2 promote the propagation of native fish and so doing maintain the integrity of the species and local forms
3 foster captive breeding programmes of rare and endangered species
4 co-operate with other instituitons helping to establish viable long term breed programs of species affected by national quarantine regulations
5 promote research and info exchange between institutions and hobbyists to aid captive breed programmes
6 establish and maintain studbooks for rare and endangered species
7 investigate and promote the re-introduction of captive bred stock to suitable natural habitats
8 maintain suffeciently larege captive populations of "status" animals to ensure an adequate gene pool until they can be reintroduced
9 develop aquarium displays and graphics which promote an understanding of the importance of aquatic habitats and the need for preservation
10 develop public education programmes that encourage an appreciation of aquatic life and which are orientated towards young people
11 promote awareness of the problems facing rare, endangered and uncommon species.