Re: [RML] angfa and aquaconservation--was all kinds of othercrap

Fri, 6 Feb 1998 22:28:09 +1000

Good to hear you again Nick

> From: Nick Thorne <nick at nativefish.asn.au>
> Subject: Re: [RML] angfa and aquaconservation--was all kinds of othercrap
> Date: Friday, 6 February 1998 14:24

At present we
> are seeking a permit from NSW to obtain another 6 or so trout cod for
> the breeding program to replace the inevitable losses suffered(*) and to
> maintain the genetic diversity of our brood stock. We intend trading a
> couple of thousand Macquarie perch bred by NFA this summer for this
> permit.

What happens to these Macquarie Perch Nick - I presume they are raised in
outside ponds to a certain size before they are suitable for handling ?
What disease control and monitoring is applied to them along the way?
Are they eventually going to be released for stocking in water ways or
only in farm dams? What guide lines do you recommend for outside pond
culture of fish and do you have a local watershed policy for your members ?
At present the topic of breeding in outside ponds, translocation policies
and mixing genes and diseases between captive and natural populations are
hot topics here in Qld especially in the ornamental branch of the
aquaculture industry.

Regards,
Bruce.