Re: [RML] Display Suggestions

Christopher Benes (beneschr at pilot.msu.edu)
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 23:35:14 -0500

Rhonda wrote:
>nobody that likes to keep tanks. I have no formal training in this,
>I've done it as a hobby, but at least I think I would do a pretty good
>job of accurately naming the continent my fish and plants come from. I
>would hope that the people at the Shedd aquarium should know a lot
>more about where fish and aquatic plants come from than I would.

Quite honestly, I don't really know that you can get formal training in
keeping fish in little glass boxes. The closest that you can come is to
study aquaculture, but this only teaches you to keep and grow lots of fish,
it teaches you little to nothing about where they come from, what they live
in, etc. As far as I see it, most people who have degrees and work at
zoos, aquariums, etc have degrees in biology, marine biology, maybe
limnology, and some fisheries managers thrown in for good measure. And
then you've got your vets and such. The only way to know where fish come
from, what a biotope looks like, etc., is to read books and talk to people,
and get lots of experience. Nobody will formally teach this stuff to you.
When my 4th grade class went on a field trip to the Shedd I was correcting
the tour guide. As far as I see it, if you've kept fish for a while and
been successful, bred fish and been successful, and generally feel
confident in your aquarium skills, then you've got formal training. That's
my 2 cents worth.

If you didn't see it, you missed it.

Chris Benes
beneschr at pilot.msu.edu