Re: [RML] Looking for G. wanamensis

Gary Lange (gwlange at stlnet.com)
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 09:59:38 -0600

Bruce, that's true, I didn't mean to say that about the most recent
crop of Multis. Those haven't quite reached the wholesale and retail
market over here in the US though. Thru the years numerous crosses
have appeared here as multis. Hopefully we can obtain some multis
from this new batch and keep them clean, before the wholesalers start
messing them up. I guess your comments below about the variability
of the fish is the most exciting thing about PNG fish. "Know your
streams and keep them clean" isn't just a phrase for Aussie fish.
Someday, when we get more collections from PNG it will also be
important to have locations too. Anyone know about the legalities of
pulling fish out of PNG? I know that Irian Jaya is next to
impossible but how about the other side?

* Another comment - I've been told that P. paskai are now looking
different than some of the earlier fishes. Fishes that Peter was
messing with are looking completely different than some that have
recently been brought in from Hawaii. The comment was made that they
now look more like Kiunga. Wim or anyone, could you make some
comments on this or do we perhaps have a cross that is now popping
up? According to Allen, Charles N. had found a new Kiunga but as far
as I had heard hadn't released it to any markets yet. If anyone
knows anything about this?

Gary Lange
Rainbowfish Study Group of North America

----------
> From: Bruce Hansen <bhansen at ozemail.com.au>
> To: rainbowfish at pcug.org.au
> Subject: Re: [RML] Looking for G. wanamensis
> Date: Friday, February 21, 1997 9:19 PM
>
> <<From: Gary Lange <gwlange at stlnet.com>
> NONE of the multisquamatus that have made it
> here looked anything like the photo. >>I
>
> Our original "Multis" seemed to have disappeared by about 1990 or
> thereabouts. Certainly I haven't seen a convincing one since then
until the
> "new tigers" recently made their appearance.
>
> I think it would be a mistake to assume that longer anal fins
necessarily
> indicate "wanamensis" infusion since these " new" multis have the
big fins
> too. The Heiko photo in Aqua Geo clearly shows this. The other
thing to
> contemplate with the multis is that they are probably going to be
the most
> variable of the Glossolepis genus since they have a wide
distribution in
> the coastal northern rivers whereas all the other known members
have a very
> limited distribution. Even though we know that topography (and
other
> factors) is encouraging speciation more rapidly in PNG, it is
tempting( to
> me anyway) to feel that with further collections we will find a
plethora
> of recognised natural forms with variation in colour, pattern and
finnage
> length within the species of Glossolepis multisquamatus..
>

> << We have many that match the photos
> that were produced by ANGFA - actually the only Ron Bowman shot
> (until recently) that appeared in FOS.>>
>
> Actually Gary, I think there is also a photo of Terapon jarbua in
one of
> the earlier issues of FOS that was from the camera of the venerable
Ron :-)