Re: [RML] bogus diet

James E. Capelle (jcapelle at gte.net)
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 06:02:13 -0500

Andrew Boyd wrote:

> At 08:07 AM 2/17/97 +1100, Dr Bruce wrote:
> >This is a fundamentally important thread -
>
> I agree, Bruce!
>
> >We are not really aquaculturists, at least not until we sell some of our
> >produce if we are to believe the principle expressed here in Queensland in
> >the current debate concerning licensing fish breeders.
>
> I think that selling a couple of dozen fish a year does not make one an
> aquaculturist. I believe that one can be an aquaculturist (which I would
> define as someone who grows food in water) regardless of monetary gain...
> but the blessed governments of the world have a hard time believing that
> anyone would undertake the growing of food without performing the necessary
> mundane task of selling it, instead of the more energy-efficient
> self-consumption ;)
>
> >I would hope that we are still hobbyists and that the motive of profit
> >from our endeavours (monetary profit that is) comes well down the list.
>
> I'm darned if I know how people make money from fish: living somewhere warm
> must surely help ;)
>
> >However trying to give our charges the appropriate diet, as opposed to an
> >expedient or even worse a deleterious one, seems fairly obvious to me.This
> >is not an attempt exactly emulate "Mother Nature" as I think a "bug zapper"
> >over every tank with a funnel leading to a hole in the cover glass is
> >beyond most of us. Sorry Adrian - maybe a fruitfly culture above the funnel
> >would suffice :-)
>
> I have a simple yet elegant solution, Bruce - I hang a bucket underneath my
> bug zapper and empty it into my fishtanks twice a day ;) We don't use
> pesticides, natch ;)
>
> I shall add to the rest of your posting when i am offline and can give it my
> full attention ;)
>
> Regards, Andrew Boyd
> Andrew Boyd - andrew at pcug.org.au - http://www.pcug.org.au/~andrew
> "May you kindle Fire and never be burned by it,
> May the Air never send storms across your path,
> May the path across the Earth be a soft one,
> May the Water of your tears always taste sweet with joy,
> May your Spirit find your own true path...."
Andrew;
Do you really use a bucket under a bug zapper? If so that sound a great
idea for getting bugs for bows. Jim Capelle in sunny Florida where
there are many fish farmers in the county I live in. As a matter of
fact a few of the members in the Tampa Bay Aquarium Society work in or
own fish/plant farms. And something else that surprized me when I
joined the TBAS was there are a few fish store owners/workers that are
members who take an active part in the society too.