Re: [RML] shipping eggs by post

Adrian Tappin (tappin at powerup.com.au)
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 06:13:22 +1000

--=====================_735964==_.ALT

At 08:33 AM 20/02/01 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi all
>
>I have to ship eggs to Portugal of my rubrostriata. A few weeks
>back I experimented with a mop and the fish. I spawned them for a
>day (didn't get many eggs as they were in the main tank with half a
>dozen other fish). I removed the mop, wringed it 'dry' and then
>popped it into a plastic bag. After a week the eggs were still fine. At
>10 days a few eggs had disappeared. At 14 no eggs were left.
>
>Would this damp mop method work for long distance travel. From
>experiance, shipping eggs laiden mops in a bag of water never
>yielded any results when coming my way.

Yes, it should work better than shipping it with water. Providing the mop
and eggs remain moist they should survive. I would inflate the bag either
with air or oxygen?

Use some form of express post/transport so that you get them to their
destination as soon as possible. I have had eggs survive 7-9 days using
this method.

Sometimes you can 'protect' the eggs by dipping the mop in a methylene
blue/water mixture before ''drip drying'.

Adrian.

Home of the Rainbowfish
http://www.powerup.com.au/~tappin/
Selected for inclusion in the National Library of Australia
digital archive of Australian online publications (Jan. 1998)