Re: [RML] Bounces of late

Andrew Boyd (andrew at pcug.org.au)
Wed, 02 Dec 1998 17:16:35 +1100

At 15:36 02/12/98 +1100, Jason wrote:
>hi all,
>
>sorry about the bounces that have happened lately, i didnt know anything
>about them unitl dave wilson rang me up this morning, because im not
>normally subscribed to the list, because i dont really have time to keep up
>with all of them.
>
>if there are any unsubscribe messages sent to the list, can someone please
>forward them on to either rainbowfish-owner at tip.net.au or
>salmon at interact.net.au
>
>once again, Sorry about the bounces to you all, hopefully things should all
>be recitified by now

Hello, my name is Joanne, and I am a coed at a small midwestern college.
When I wear tight jeans all day, I get really...

Oops! Wrong mailing list! ;)

What I would add to what Jason has said above, speaking as a person no
longer having any official administration responsibilities, but who does
try to help out from time to time, is:

If the situation arises where everything sent to an account bounces to the
list, and you don't like it, then sending more material back to the list
whining about the bounces is the worst possible thing you can do... each
email that you send to the list when this is going on gets bounced back to
you and everybody else at least once, compounding the situation. Now, when
you have stuff bouncing more than once, as was the case with Klaus'
account, then it has an exponential multiplying effect. :) That is, the
bounces back to the list become messages that get bounced themselves, and
so on.

What most normal ISPs with a modicum of common sense and decency try to do
is bounce messages back to the list owner, rather than the list, so that
this infinite bounce condition does not eventuate. But some don't. People
who have been on the list for a while will have seen this happen a few
times before. It may happen again next week, who's to say?

Hope all y'all have a real nice day now.... :)

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew Boyd - andrew at pcug.org.au - http://www.tip.net.au/~andrew

"There is nothing quite so horrible as being patronised by the thick..."
Billy Connolly

You can catch me sometimes on ICQ at UIN 22207958....