[RML] Re: Attending shows

hank voss (aatetras at yahoo.com)
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:22:35 -0000

--- In r_m_l at yahoogroups.com, Gary Lange <rainbowfish4u2 at y...> wrote:

> I guess I'm a little surprised that it would cost you $1000 to at
> Please don't try to scare people off the national shows by
overestimating the prices.

> Gary:
> I did not intend to scare people off.I used to go to quite a
few shows/conv.s yrs back with my close friends Warren&Libby Young
(bettas) and my wife always came with me so double all costs so its
not out of reason too spend up to that amount.
PS If any one can they should attend shows&conv.s they are a
lot of fun and you can learn a lot there.

REgards Hank

> I think you got part of my post(875) in my reply to
> Gunthers profile where i mentioned that you could spend
> around 1000 to attend some of these conv."s
>

> Regards Hank

> > Rarefish at lax is Kent Webster's friend Tanner. Kent is a
breeder
> and essentially a rainbowfish wholesaler. He really doesn't want
> his wholesale people getting mad at him so Tanner does all of his
on-
> line stuff for him. Tanner plucks the stuff directly out of
Kent's
> tank so you aren't getting stuff second hand with the possibility
of
> crosses. Kent if he's not selling yet, will be shortly selling
> wanamensis again. Kent writes most of the stuff up for Tanner for
> Aquabid so he gets it right. We've had several discussions about
> making his descriptions interesting and also informative. I think
> wrote one of his earlier writeups, probably the zigzag (G. doryiti)
> or the millenium (pseudoincisus) but the rest is Kent, with a tad
of
> my influence :-) Heck I read his writeups and start to bid on the
> stuff when I realize, "hey I've already got that"! Also a great
> many of his photos are mine that I shot of Kent's fish when I was
> out at the hatchery last February. I stood on a step stool
> > photographing fish one at a time in our phototank for something
> like 8 hours. I support Kent and friend as Kent is really the
only
> breeder in the US that can supply the quality and the quanity of
> rainbowfish. The stuff in Florida and what gets imported is often
> joke.
> >
> > His Goo obos are only getting brighter and breeding even more
> fish with color. Some of the offspring are not very colorful and
> sort of revert back to the wild so if you buy six young fish from
> him be sure to select the brightest colored ones for breeding. He
> tells me that he has some newer pairs that even outrival the shots
> that are up on Aquabid at the moment. I think I would wait to get
> fish though until the spring as it gets pretty cold in Vermont in
> the winter. Good reason to keep fish, stay in and keep warm!
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > Gary Lange
> >
> > Eileen Kortright <eileen at s...> wrote:
> > At 08:45 AM 12/16/2005, you wrote:
> >
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 07:35:36 -0800 (PST)
> > From: Gary Lange <rainbowfish4u2 at y...>
> > Subject: Re: Re: Goo obo gudgeon article / "sports" vs. "wild
> forms"
> >
> > The comment was also meant for the fellow that hasn't identified
> himself yet "pair of icy fists". . . .
> > You know it suddenly dawned on me that I didn't introduce myself
> either. I'm surprised I didn't get put on the carpet for that :)
> > Lemme fix that, please:
> >
> > My name's Eileen Kortright. Canadian from Ontario, but married a
> Yankee and am living in VA. I'm in my mid 40s. I'm more new than
> Gunther to aquaria; I just started in August of this year. I have
6
> aquariums, with the largest being a 36g bowfront. Hrm, saw
Boesemani
> for the first time and fell in love with them :) I bought a 36g
> bowfront and a school of 7 from my LFS. I seemed to have lucked
out
> as mine are VERY colorful now and, I think, rather large. One of
my
> females is around 3.25", males about 3", couple are 2.5, but
> not "orangey" yet. The bigger ones are now starting to exhibit
> spawning behavior and I'm very excited about that! I spend a lot
of
> my time reading about rainbow fish. I just received Dr. Allen's
> Rainbowfishes book and 'm eagerly awaiting Harro's book that I
> ordered :)
> >
> > I have on order 3x75g and 1x50g tanks that are due to arrive in
> two weeks. My Boesemani will go into one 75g and I want to better
> the school with the ones I see on Aquabid. I want to add some Goo
> obos to that tank as well, again same person on Aquabid or another
> site that sells them and I suspect that both of those people are
> the same guy. He writes a lot like Gary Lange :) Are those yours,
> Gary? Rarefishatlax?
> >
> > The 2nd one will be for pseudoincisus, but I like the parva as
> well! The third I want to have as splendida dubulayi and possibly
> wanamensis, if I can find them, and peacock gudgeons. I did find
> some "Emerald Rainbowfish", but not sure if that's them or not. My
> smaller tanks will be stocked with blue-eyes.
> >
> > I'd like to breed the rainbows -- no crossbreeds! -- too.
> >
> > So, and I'm sure you can tell by the multitude of dumb questions
> ask, I'm a real newbie here :)
> >
> > Eileen
> > Mar sin leibh an-dr`sda,
> >
> > Cym a' Gh`idhlig Ber!
> >
> > Researching . . .
> > Surnames: Kelly, M'Glone/M'Gloin, Duff, Mulligan, Butler,
Hammil,

~
> Pierre Trudeau, former Canadian prime minister

> > Banana fish Fish oil Fish oil supplement Fish
pond