Re: [RML] ionic strength, avoiding fish kills

Julie Zeppieri (bowluvr at hotmail.com)
Sat, 03 Dec 2005 10:04:05 -0800

Thanks, Gary. :-)

The KH of the Rift Lake tanks is 13. That is what the buffer is designed
for. Never measure the GH, but my guess it is also moderate-to-high from a
read of the buffer's ingredients. In the Rift Lake tanks, ironically, I do
not use any crushed coral or shell, just the buffer. I only use crushed
coral/shell (and in small amounts) in my non-Rift tanks to keep the pH from
bottoming out -- even with discus and Apistos, as I have had the pH drop to
2.8!! The Apistos in the tank did fine, but I tested it due to the fact that
the clump of previously happy Java Moss had gone to brown mush. ;-) GH/KH
in my non-Rift tanks is in the low/soft range generally (tho not overly so)
unless I tweak it further. I rarely do this BTW, as soft is fine for my
needs for the most part. Even the guppies and rainbows don't mind soft so
long as pH is not low as well.

The main point to all my questions and such is that I am really not trying
to find out IF pH drops are dangerous (I know they are), but WHY they are.
My friend asked the physiolgy behind this, and I guess the ion thing by
itself just doesn't seem like the right answer. Perhaps a part of it, but
there are just things it does not address.

I guess my next move is to try and contact the "wet vet" we have here in
Oregon (U of O, Hatfeild Marine Science Center, and Oregon Coast Aquarium
affilated -- busy man!). Hopefully I will get a reply, or at least some
literature links. If I get a full explanation on this I will forward it to
the list. I was just hoping to do this "in house" since so many of you are
in the habit of knowing such details usually. :-)

Julie <'><