Re: SPAM (was [RML] Rainbows and Diet)

Doug Collom (dcollom at powerup.com.au)
Sun, 17 Aug 1997 11:30:18 +1000

Andrew and all,

I hadn't read the RML for a few days, being otherwise busy, and on wading
through the 100+ messages found I was being verbally assaulted from
Canberra !

For the benefit of those on the list who might wonder what Alex and I had
done to warrant such comment, a bit of explanation.

The original Alex/Doug comparison goes back to about 93/94, when I was
doing some deliberate stirring at an ANGFA Queensland committee meeting. We
had the usual committee situation with a handful of us doing the work, and
others talking the business and making promises at meetings, with no actual
results.

There was a visitor from ANGFA Victoria sitting in on the meeting, who at
the end of the meeting commented that it was good to see ANGFA Queensland
had its own Alex Caughey to stir things up a bit.

So in that context I wasn't greatly insulted by Bruce's original comment.

However Andrew, on sober reflection by yourself, thinking from the points
of view of both Alex and I, your comment could be seen to be somewhat
unflattering to both of us. It might be prudent therefore to avoid
situations where you find yourself standing between Alex and I at future
gatherings.

The original reference was an " In-house " joke, that Bruce by now realises
should probably have stayed in-house. This is particularly so in the light
of events
and committee politics in ANGFA in recent years, which could lead to very
different interpretations of the reference being put on it by people with
differing points of view.

Alex is not on the RML, but I'm sure he would join me in saying that we
should allow the Alex/Doug comparison to drift into forgotten in-house
committee history, as it can nowadays be interpreted, as in this case, in a
way unflattering to both of us, and unfortunately has the potential to
unnecessarily stir the pot.

Doug