Re: [RML] Rainbowfish deformity

peter.unmack at ASU.Edu
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 17:21:13 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, John Grylls wrote:

> I have bred and raised a batch of Running Creek tri's to maturity and
> am about to cull a few of the poorer specimens. Three of the fish
> have abnormal throats, they look just like African cichlids with a
> mouthful of eggs/fry, is this a genetic deformity, or is it an
> environmental effect?

Only way to tell is to breed the deformed fish and see what the
offspring are like. Unfortunately no one ever tries this, everyone just
calls it genetic when often as not I feel most of it is likely
environmental. Why don't you breed them, see what you get and write an
ariticle on it? :-)

Tootles

Peter Unmack