Re: [RML] Rainbows and Diet

Adrian R. Tappin (atappin at ecn.net.au)
Fri, 08 Aug 1997 14:01:06 +1000

At 11:23 7/08/97 -0700, Rhonda wrote:

>I was noticing, a while back, that when I feed a lot of mosquito larva to
>fish they often seem to come out after being eaten about the same looking as
>they went in. I figured the exoskeletons on insects are probably not very
>digestable. But that got me to thinking that insects do have exoskeletons
>and that a fish that was used to eating lots of insects would be set up to
>deal with this in some way, or maybe even use them in some way. I don't
>really know if what I'm saying has any relevance at all. However it seems
>that it may be worth looking at.
>
>It seems that the fish may utilize this part of their diet in some way and
>it's something that they really wouldn't get in an aquarium, even if they
>are getting the other nutrients that may be found in an insect. Could they
>be getting something out of the exoskeleton, perhaps this is why there are
>often troubles with crooked fish and lack of fin developement that prompts
>many to add calcium type blocks. I also was wondering if somehow they could
>aid in digestion, kind of like fiber for people.

I remember some years back reading about the importance of chitin
(exoskeletons) in the diet of fishes. It was in a book on fish nutrition
that I borrowed from the QUT University, but I cant remember the title.
Anyway, that is one of the reasons I leave the outer shell on prawns when I
fed them to my fish. I just mince them all up.I believe that they function
in the manner you stated above and are an important supplement.

Adrian.
Adrian R. Tappin
"Home of the Rainbowfish"
http://www.ecn.net.au/~atappin/home.htm