Re: [RML]Fish kept by Govt

Doug Karpa-Wilson (dkarpawi at indiana.edu)
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:39:27 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave & Robyn Wilson" <rwilson at octa4.net.au>
To: <rainbowfish at pcug.org.au>
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 1:35 PM
Subject: [RML]Fish kept by Govt

> Even though I no longer work for the Parks and Wildlife Commission of
> the NT I think their sustainable use of native wildlife program is
> one of the most sensible in the country. Here a landowner can get a
> permit to harvest a native species if it can be proved that the
> harvest is sustainable
>
> Cheers
> Dave

I wonder what evidence they accept as the harvest being sustainable? In
principle, to prove it would require a lot of demographic data collected
over many years. Among ecologists it's a matter of some debate how you
really determine what is sustainable and what isn't. I'm sure it's fairly
sensible, but I was curious what standard they set or how they do it.

Doug