RE: aquarist involvement in species conservation

peter.unmack at asu.edu
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 09:11:19 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, Les Kaufman wrote:

> Along another vein, how many aquarists are involved in conservation of
> aquatic wildlife in their own communities? Aquarists could be a major
> force to strengthen the now extremely weak network of conservation
> commissions and planning boards. That would be a real positive force, and
> close to home. Who is doing so? How many more could?

Unfortunately not enough. However, two groups that I am aware of
undertake "local" conservation action. The Bay Area Killifish
Association and Tropical Fishkeepers Exchange co-ordinate a bi-annual
trip to assist with work on endangered Nevadan fishes. These groups think
nothing of taking a couple of days off work and driving 10 hours to get
to a given locality. These folk will actively remove exotic species,
undertake habitat improvement work, and assist in the monitoring of
native fish populations. All this is done in conjunction with, and under
the supervision of Nevada Division of Wildlife.

For example, the previous trip was to Ash Meadows, a group of desert
springs and the home of the Devil's Hole pupfish. Three days were spent
trapping exotic fishes and invertebrates. Almost 5000 orgainisms were
removed, the same quantity that refuge managers typcially remove in a year!

In order to undertake this type of activity there has to be a group with
some field type experience, and managing authorities (typically
government) who are willing to accept help and work with community groups.

Unfortunately, few aquarists ever venture into the field, and most are
interested in fishes from outside the confines of their country.

Hooroo

Peter