Re: [acn-l] Re: BOF loss - why and what now (fwd)

Shireen Gonzaga (whimbrel at home.com)
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 00:02:47 -0500

peter.unmack at ASU.Edu wrote:

> Shireen, I don't really know except by reading between the lines. Players
> seemed to be environmentalists/fisherman versus logging companies and the
> regulators. They claim the environmentalists/fishers got left out of some
> discussion (snookered) and most of the environmental controls they had worked
> to establish were removed by the logging company and the regulators. You'd
> have to contact Felice Pace <felicep at sisqtel.net> and/or Alan Levine
> <alevine at MAIL.MCN.ORG> to really know the background to it all. Perhaps if
> you do find out you could pass the information back to ACN-L.

I don't know what's going on between Pace and Levine but it sounds pretty
acrimonius. Contacting them may put me in the middle of a mudslinging match.
While I'm intensely curious to find out what's going on, I'm a bit hesitant to
contact them right now.

Anyhow, if anyone wants to read the San Jose Mercury News article that
got Pace so upset, it's at
http://www.mercurycenter.com/premium/local/docs/timber16.htm

Additional articles at
http://www.mercurycenter.com/premium/local/docs/logging15.htm
http://www.mercurycenter.com/premium/front/docs/logging14.htm

Proposed logging rules at
http://www.fire.ca.gov/bof/board/board_proposed_rule_packages.html

If anyone else knows what's going on, please tell us about it.

-shireen