[acn-l] NANFA- endangered fish in captivity (fwd)

peter.unmack at ASU.Edu
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 20:06:26 -0700 (MST)

This is from an .aol member on acn-l.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:08:56 EST
From: RWLACN at aol.com
To: owner-acn-l at pinetree.pinetree.org
Subject: NANFA- endangered fish in captivity

It is good to see this topic being discussed. The American Killifish
Association has organized a Killifish Conservation Committee to try and keep
species alive that are endangered or extinct in the wild. Not all species in
this condition are chosen but a core group of species that are representative
of a group or subgenera of killifish. All of this work is being done by
hobbyists, with uneven success, but with some success, nevertheless.

We know that several species of killifish have become extinct in West Africa.
In Cameroon there is extensive logging going on and this spells doom for the
rainforest species that can only survive in small streams that are shaded by
the rainforest. Aphyosemion elberti (Ntui population) has been know to be
extinct for several years and several aquarist still have this species: it is
beautiful. Fundulopanchax walkeri GH2 from Ghana is extinct as is Epiplatys
chaperi schreiberi, both species from the same area. The former is a core
species of the KCC and is currently being propagated by several aquarists.
Again, in Cameroon, it is feared that several populations of Fundulopanchax
fallax (formerly distinct species under the genus Aphyosemion) are either
extinct or at a critical stage. Fundulopanchax fallax (Malende) has recently
been searched for by two aquarists, Nevin Aspenwall (USA) and Wolfgang Eberl
(Germany) on separate collecitng trips and both came up empty despite
extensive searches in their know localities. Others that cannot be found are
Fp. schwoiseri, Fp. rubrolabiale and Fp. kribianum. All but Fp. kribianum
(south of Kribi) are in the same general area of Cameroon. There is also
reason for concern for Epiplatys esekanus and Aphyosemion raddai. The fishes
of the Niger Delta in Nigeria are at risk as well as many little-know species
of South American annuals. These are only a few examples of what has been
learned by dedicated killifish aquarists.

None of these species are on the endangered species list nor are any of them
protected by any agency or government. They are, however, being looked after
by hobbyists ( I dislike using that word because it makes it seem as if we are
not to be taken seriously.) Breeding schemes are in place to help ensure that
we maintain as much genetic diversity as possible in our captive populations.
The results, given human nature, are not perfect but we have a program in
place to react to new information about endangered killifish: ESP= Emergency
Survival Program, and the list of species grows longer on a yearly basis.

Paul Loiselle sent me seven pairs of Pachypanchax sakaramyi (exact location
known in Madagascar), each pair from a different wild pair. I bred scores of
this species and the offspring are the founders of the populations now in the
Denver Zoo and the Nice Aquarium (France). So, conservation aquarists have
been making a contribution and it is hoped they will expand their efforts if
for no other reason than to leave the options open. There are no options with
extinction. We should never surrender a species to extinction without a fight.

Roger Langton