[acn-l] Conservation Ecology - Issue 2 (fwd)

Rob Huntley (rob at acn.ca)
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 20:28:26 -0500 (EST)

This is a forwarded message.
Please direct and/or copy correspondence to the original source.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 16:51:13 -0500 (EST)
From: "Shealagh E. Pope" <sepope at ccs.carleton.ca>
To: conservation-ecology at consecol.org
Cc: "Shealagh E. Pope" <sepope at alfred.ccs.carleton.ca>
Subject: Conservation Ecology - Issue 2

CONSERVATION ECOLOGY A peer-reviewed, scientific journal
http://www.consecol.org
Editor-in-Chief C. S. Holling
Managing Editor Lee N. Miller

ANNOUNCING the SECOND ISSUE

Volume 1, Issue 2 of Conservation Ecology, the on-line journal of the
Ecological Society of America, is now available at

http://www.consecol.org/vol1/iss2

The Table of Contents of this second issue is appended below.

This issue initiates a Special Focus on the topic "Regional Impacts
and Responses to Climate Change". This Special Focus is not meant to
be a coherent survey of all the relevant topics. Rather, it serves
first and foremost to highlight two topics that have not been
particularly central to discussions of global change. One is adaptive
impacts of global change on ecosystems, as Brian Walker and Will
Steffen explore. We have several papers in review and planned that
will deal with each of those topics in more detail in future issues.

We hope that the gaps left in the range of relevant ecological,
environmental, economic, and social issues will be filled in
discussion and reaction among our community of readers. Readers are
invited to react to, discuss, and bring new insights to the topics
through a response form attached to each paper.

Conservation Ecology now has almost 5,000 subscribers; 250,000
connections were made to our site in the month after the first issue
was published; that first issue has now been accessed by almost 19,000
people; and the papers in the journal are now abstracted by BIOSIS. A
mirror site in Brazil will be operational as of December 24th
(http://www.bdt.org.br/cons_ecol), and sites in Australia, South
Africa, and the United States will come on-line early in the new year.

We welcome your feedback. Questions and comments may be sent to

questions at consecol.org

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Volume 1, Issue 2 - December, 1997

CALL FOR PAPERS

EDITORIAL
3. Introduction to the Special Focus on Global Change and
Uncertainty
Regional Responses to Global Change
C.S. Holling, Editor-in-Chief

YOUNG SCHOLAR DIALOGUE

4. Uncertainty, Climate Change, and Adaptive Management
Garry Peterson, Giulio A. De Leo, Jessica J.
Hellmann, Marco A. Janssen, Ann Kinzig, Jay R. Malcolm,
Karen L. O'Brien, Shealagh E. Pope, Dale S. Rothman,
Elena Shevliakova, and Robert R.T. Tinch.

SYNTHESIS
2. Resilience and Restoration of Lakes
Stephen R. Carpenter and Kathryn L. Cottingham

3. The Multifaceted Aspects of Ecosystem Integrity
Giulio A. De Leo and Simon A. Levin