Re: tubarosa revisited again!--cichlids

peter.unmack at asu.edu
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 20:02:22 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, Les Kaufman wrote:

> As a case in point, the LV-SSP, in conjunction with FIRI (Ugandan Fisheries
> Research Institute), is planning to attempt an ICDP (integrated
> conservation development project) in the form of a small cottage industry
> for aquarium fish breeding and export, with the community around Lake
> Nawampassa...if they are willing. Aquarists everywhere will be able to
> assist by MAINTAINING a market for these fishes once the source-end is
> straightened out. The proceeds will directly benefit conservation of these
> taxa. Now, the key is the long-term market. Most likely aquarists would
> have to volunteer not to sell or gift captive bred stock in the US to each
> other, or some such restriction. If this were not done, the trade would
> trickle off and die after only a few months, and the fishes would no longer
> be there the next time the fad reawakens. Does anybody have ideas on this?
> Should we treat conservation-priority fishes like software? Or more
> pertinently perhaps, like the law says that software should be treated?

I have to agree with the other respondants that most serious aquarists
will breed and distribute such fishes. I think the key ingredient in
making this a success is price and variety. After their initial release
(which should attract a higher price) the cost of the fish should be kept
as cheap as possible, this will at least disencourage those who want to
breed the fish for profit. Also, the average aquarist is probably more
likely to by a cheap attractive cichlid verses an expensive one (an
attractive cichlid........, is there such a thing? :-) :-) ). I
think the concern regarding people swapping fish within clubs may
be relatively minor given how small the percentage is of fishkeepers in
clubs vs those who are not. Secondly, the larger the number of species
that can be produced by the African natives the more stable their
sales/production may be too. Of course the other alternative that has
already been mentioned is selling only the one sex.

I am not a cichlid keeper, thus I have little idea as to which species
you are talking about and how widely kept they would be in the aquarium
hobby or how "attractive" they would be. Surely though, given the number of
aquarists around the world, a small sustainable industry could be
established without so much concern with fishkeepers breeding the fish?
Presumably they could work on fishes other than just cichlids too?

Please keep the list informed of your progress on this interesting topic
Les. Undoubtably, it is one of the ways of the future of fish
conservation. If the locals won't value them, their chances of survival
in the wild are decreased significantly.

Toot

Peter