[acn-l] Mid-Atlantic Horseshoe crab survey - volunteers needed (fwd)

peter.unmack at asu.edu
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 15:57:51 -0700 (MST)

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 15:55:35 -0400
From: Shireen Gonzaga <shireen at stsci.edu>
To: acn-l at acn.ca
Subject: Mid-Atlantic Horseshoe crab survey - volunteers needed

If you live in one of the mid-Atlantic states (NJ, DE, MD, PA)
and would like to participate in the 2000 horseshoe crab census,
please contact me (and tell me which state you live in so I can put
you in touch with the right regional survey coordinator).

This census will occur on full and new moons of May and June,
as well as 2 days before and after. The counts are done at night
during high tide, and involve 1 km of beach walking, getting
wet, and sometimes getting bitten (by bugs). But trust me, it's
loads of fun. Kids are encouraged to participate as well. Some
tagging will also be done during the day at each survey beach,
on a date to be determined by each beach coordinator.

Thanks,
Shireen Gonzaga
whimbrel at home.com
shireen at stsci.edu